Mac's 'Harmony' Blush | Quick, Simple Contouring


If you've been reading my blog for a while, you will know that I am just a little obsessed with contouring and the whole 'sculpted' look.  I feel somewhat un-finished without a quick sweep of highlighting powder and a touch of bronzing powder along my cheekbones.  However, contouring every single day can be a bit of a faff - especially when you need to get out of the house pretty sharpishly! I really wanted something that made defining the cheekbones quick and easy for those days where you don't want to spend a great deal of time doing your make-up.  Mac's 'Harmony' blush is just the product I was looking for.  Although it may not look much in the pan, it's one of the most multi-functional, easy to use cheek products I've used and it makes creating a subtle contoured look simple, easy and quick to achieve.  I can only describe it as a mid-way between a bronzer and a blush - it definitely leans towards a bronzer, but the slight pink/red tones in it takes away any orangeness and provides it with a certain warmth that looks really natural when applied.  It is described on the Mac website as a 'muted rose-beige brown' and I would agree with that - it does have a certain 'hint' of rose in there - although it definitely is more toned down and extremely subtle.

All you need is a quick sweep and you're done in a swish (yes, I just said 'sweep' and 'swish' in the same sentence...couldn't resist!).  It instantly defines and gives a beautiful, natural effect without the need for any contouring techniques or time spent applying a variety of products and corresponding brushes - with 'Harmony', you can achieve that sculpted appearance quickly and easily with just one product and a blush brush.  The matte finish is perfect for sculpting the face as it doesn't contain any shimmers - it provides a smooth, natural look.  I simply use my Real Techniques blush brush to apply; gently sweeping it along the cheeks and blending out towards the hairline to create a soft, contoured look.  Instantly, it makes my cheekbones appear more defined and my cheeks appear a little brighter and healthier - it really is a sculpting powder and a blush rolled into one!  If I want a slightly more dramatic effect, I'll sometimes go in with my Real Techniques Contour brush and define a little more around the top of the cheekbones - but that's what so great about it - you're able to build up the colour lightly, to the level you're after.   I've even used a light dusting across my forehead and down the centre of the nose for a soft bronzed look.  It really is so easy to use.

If you're a little intimidated by bronzers or aren't too confident when it comes to contouring, I'd really recommend this little gem.  It looked wonderful with a tan over the summer, and looks even more striking now that my skin is paler - there is no doubt I will be using this throughout winter.  It's perfect for uni as it looks more natural for a daytime look, and it's so quick and easy to do.  It is very much one of those 'sweep and go' kind of products.  The soft, rosey-brown colour is also perfect for this time of year - it's understated, simple and will compliment almost any make-up look - the perfect finishing touch!  I didn't take a photograph of me wearing it specifically for this post, but if you're itching to get an idea of what it looks like when worn, then I used it for this little FOTD in this recent post.  Also, whilst we are on the subject of contouring, I  have a simple tutorial here if you're after some ideas, and I've written about another one of my all-time favourite sculpting products here. 

Have you tried Mac's Harmony? What is your favourite go-to blush right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment